Exclusive news, data and analytics for financial market professionalsLSEG

Russian forces take three new settlements in drive to oust Ukrainian

By Mikhail PetrovMarch 9, 20254 min read
An armed soldier stands guard while a civilian walks past a building in a Russian-controlled area

A Russian soldier stands guard in a newly captured settlement in eastern Ukraine, March 8, 2025. REUTERS/Ivan Sokolov

MOSCOW, March 9 (Reuters) - Russian forces have captured three more settlements in eastern Ukraine, the Russian defense ministry said on Sunday, as Moscow continues its push to gain territory in the Donbas region.

The ministry said Russian troops had taken control of Novoselivka, Petrivka, and Zhovtneve in the Donetsk region, adding to a string of recent gains that have put Ukrainian forces on the defensive.

"Russian forces continue to advance in the direction of Pokrovsk," the ministry said in a statement, referring to a key logistics hub that has become a primary target in Russia's eastern offensive.

Ukrainian military officials acknowledged the loss of the three settlements but said their forces were regrouping for counterattacks. "The situation is difficult but under control," said Ukrainian military spokesman Serhiy Cherevaty.

The advances come as Russia maintains pressure along multiple sections of the front line, stretching Ukrainian resources thin. Military analysts say Russia is attempting to capitalize on manpower advantages and ammunition shortages affecting Ukrainian units.

"Russia is making incremental gains by overwhelming Ukrainian positions with artillery and then sending in infantry," said military analyst Oleksandr Kovalenko. "They're willing to accept high casualties to secure territorial gains."

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has repeatedly called for faster weapons deliveries from Western allies, warning that delays are costing lives and territory.

The United States announced a new $2.5 billion military aid package for Ukraine last week, but some systems are not expected to reach the front lines for months.

Meanwhile, civilian evacuations continue from frontline areas in Donetsk region, with local authorities reporting that approximately 3,000 residents have been moved to safer locations in the past week.